Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Most Important Strategy - Computer Maintenance

Yesterday, my laptop crashed. I ran a disk cleanup application and voila, some of the applications stopped running. Result: An unproductive day yesterday and looks like an unproductive day today also.

But then I discovered a whole lot of things that I could do. I cleaned out a whole lot of junk from my computer. I backed up all the information on the hard disk. I discovered Thunderbird, a free easy to use mail client. I updated my anti-virus. And a big thanks to Nishana who helped me in doing all this!

So my biggest advice to all of us whose lifeline is our computer: Take time out regularly on a weekly basis, set aside a couple of hours and maintain your systems.

3 comments:

MumLee said...

Hmm.. I hope you will clean up your machine atleast once in a week. And I suggest you to do system Defragmentation twice in a month so that the possiblity for system crash would be very less!

Raghvendra N Dhoot said...

There is a neat little feature in McAfee Security Center - McAfee QuickClean, that cleans your machine of all the accumalated junk including internet cache,temporary files,lost file fragments,lost registry keys,deleted outlook messages and a whole lot of unwanted junk that is hoarding the space on your machine.

And the best part is that you can schedule it to run on its own.For example, I have set it to run every 30 minutes coz I am paranoid about anything going wrong on my machine.

Similiary you can schedule defrag sessions thru McAfee Security Center.

ripul said...

Why spend all that time and mind-less effort doing cleaning up? Outsource it to a Mac!

Use a Mac and spend time focusing on what you do best and not dirty windows jobs.